Kiev notes progress on eastern Ukraine cease-fire

Source: TheBright.com® NewsTheBright.com® News

Kiev notes progress on eastern Ukraine cease-fire
A firefighter observes a damaged office building after shelling in the town of Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014. Sporadic artillery fire hit parts of eastern Ukraine on Saturday, hours after negotiators agreed to create a buffer zone between government troops and pro-Russian militants by halting their advances, pulling back heavy weapons and withdrawing foreign fighters. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian officials say government troops have begun withdrawing heavy artillery in the east of the country, as have pro-Russian rebels in the region.

Col. Andriy Lysenko, spokesman for Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council , said Monday that Kiev’s forces had started withdrawing from frontline positions. He said the rebels had also begun their withdrawal of heavy artillery, although it was “not as massive as we expected.”

A cease-fire imposed Sept. 5 has been riddled by violations from the start. On Monday, smoke rose over a residential area in the north of the rebel-held city of Donetsk . Lysenko said two Ukrainian servicemen had been killed in the past day.

Last week, an agreement was signed calling for both sides to halt advances and pull back heavy artillery, creating a buffer zone.



 

Keep Calm and Email On

 

Video